Tuesday, July 1, 2014

01/07/2014

Elegant, cultivated, decent. Three words Acqua di Parma have chosen to describe their Gelsomino Nobile perfume – characterised by sharp citrus top notes transitioning to light tones of Calabrian jasmine. Decent? I’m a little surprised: do they mean that as in “conforming with standards of acceptable behaviour” or as in “solid, fits the bill”? Neither seems to work particularly well here. But I like it. I admire Acqua di Parma’s courage – clearly they’ve decided to strike out against the overuse of pretentious, near meaningless language which characterises so much of the luxury cosmetics industry. “This perfume is decent. Try our above-average perfume: it’s nothing revolutionary, but boy does it get the job done.” For a new wave young fashion label, this kind of self-puncturing advert would be par for the course, even self-indulgent, but for an LVMH mainstay it’s pretty refreshing.

I’ve started work at the Alsterhaus – in the beauty and cosmetics department. Somehow I’d suspected all along that I’d be stationed there. Maybe it’s the fact that my grandfather, when he first started work in a department store, made his debut in the women’s shoe department. I like to think that the same spirit of baffling logic behind that ill-advised posting was again at work today, as I entered the ground floor Parfümerie this morning, with only the affectation of deep absorption in my clipboard to help shield me from questions on anti-aging creams.

It’s probably worth clarifying that I have nothing against the cosmetics industry as a whole, though some people obviously do. Perhaps I should enquire into the ethical arguments against the vanity industry at a later stage, but for the moment, the more pressing concern is my total incompetence in the field. I haven’t the faintest idea what the difference between an eau fraîche and an eau de parfum is, and even if I did, the chances of my explaining it adequately in German to a time-pressed customer are comically low. There will be a lot of bullshitting about skincare products over the next two weeks, but I hope it will be of consolation to my hapless victims that it is, at least, bullshitting without art.

I look up the word dezent in my German-English dictionary. Turns out it doesn’t mean ‘decent’ at all, but rather ‘subtle and understated’. Of course it does. Bloody fragrance companies.


Word of the day: dezent

No comments:

Post a Comment